Wednesday 26 March 2014

Wednesday Weekly: Impossible Quiche

Well this dish was definitely a keeper! Impossible Quiche isn't usually as hard as its name suggests -- it's basically a baked omelette. However, there's something about it that can spell disaster if not done correctly; as such, I've certainly had my fair share of failures. The first time I made Impossible Pie, it took over an hour and a half in the oven! Perhaps it was a dodgy recipe, perhaps it was the oven, perhaps it was me -- whatever it was, the end result was disheartening.

Not this time.

This recipe was ridiculously easy. It was simply a matter of mixing the dry ingredients...


...then whisking together the wet ingredients and adding them to the dry ingredients.



Then you stick it in the oven and forty minutes later... voila!



The tops of the Impossible Quiches looked a little brown, but they didn't taste burnt. Next time, I might try and shave five minutes off the cooking time and see how it turns out. In terms of taste, it was delicious -- it was moist and held its shape well, plus none of the flavours were overpowering. If you're not the kind of person who likes the taste of egg and cheese, however, you might want to stay away.

And now for the recipe!

You can fine it here on Taste, a website which in my experience rarely disappoints in quality. My family eat a lot, so I doubled the recipe and made two pies. Here are a couple of things to consider if you decide to make this:
  • I left out the onion entirely. I'm not a fan of onion so I hardly use it if I can help it. However, feel free to use it!
  • Making a double batch, I had all of the dry ingredients mixed together in one bowl, which I then evenly divided between the two pie dishes.
  • However, I made the egg and milk mixture in two batches, so as to make sure that both pies got the same amount of liquid.
If you don't feel like going to another site, I've included the recipe down below.

Impossible Quiche

Makes 1 quiche.

Ingredients

  • 125g ham, chopped
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional in my case)
  • 1 1/2 cups (180g) grated tasty cheese
  • 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
  • Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to season
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6. Grease a 5 cup capacity pie dish. (I'm pretty sure this is just your standard pie dish.)
  2. Combine ham, onion, cheese, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Scatter over base of dish.
  3. Whisk eggs and milk together in a large jug and pour over ham mixture. Cook for about 40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool slightly. Serve warm or cold.
And there you have it! A quiche that is as easy as it is delicious!

What did you have for dinner?

Sarah xo

1 comment:

  1. Hello lovely, thank you for the sweet comment on my blog, I really appreciate it!

    I'm looking forward to your next post! :)

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete